The US PLAY Coalition: A Partnership to Promote the Value of Play throughout Life is made up of individuals and organizations that recognize play as a valuable and necessary part of a healthy and productive life. We are housed within Clemson University’s College of Health, Education and Human Development and express our gratitude to the university and the college for their continuing support.
The Coalition was born of The Summit on the Value of Play which took place at Clemson University in the Summer of 2009 (for more information see the "Conferences" menu above). The attendees at this important summit made a commitment to create a coalition whose purpose would be to bring together organizations and individuals in support of play and to open up opportunities for people of all ages, backgrounds, and abilities to incorporate play into their lives.
The US PLAY Coalition has created 7 committees that each work to support play through various means. See the "Action Committees" menu above to learn more about these committees. The U.S. Play Coalition also hosts an annual Conference on the Value of Play each February. Use the "Conferences" pulldown menu to access information on the upcoming conference and to see information on past conferences.
An update, published March 2012, on the Coalition's progress towards meeting the Calls to Action developed at the 2009 Summit on the Value of Play is available here.
We invite you to explore the resources on this website and to become involved with the US PLAY Coalition!
US Play Coalition Steering Committee
- Dr. Brett Wright, Chair, Department of Parks, Recreation, and Tourism Management, Clemson University - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fran P. Mainella, Visiting Scholar, Clemson University, Former National Park Service Director - email@example.com
- Carly Summers - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jodie Adams - Past President of NRPA, Director of Springfield-Greene County Park Board in Springfield, MO - email@example.com
- Dr. Joel Agate - Assistant Professor, Recreation and Leisure Studies, SUNY College at Brockport - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dr. Larry Allen - Dean, College of Health, Education and Human Development, Clemson University - email@example.com
- Joan Almon - Alliance for Childhood, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dr. Bob Becker - Academic Program Director, Strom Thurmond Institute of Government & Public Affairs, Clemson University - email@example.com
- Richard J. Dolesh - Chief of Public Policy, National Recreation and Park Association - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jackie Epping - Centers for Disease Control and Prevention - email@example.com
- Stephen Hamelin - Vortex Aquatic Structures - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dan Hendy - CPSI, Site Masters Inc. - email@example.com
- Teri Hendy - CPSI, President, Site Masters Inc. - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tom Kalousek - Executive Director, Winnebago County Forest Preserve District, Rockford, Illinois - email@example.com
- Ingrid M. Kanics, OTR/L, Kanics Inclusive Design Services LLC, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kenneth S. Kutska - Executive Director, International Playground Safety Institute, LLC - email@example.com
- Tony Malkusak, ASLA, CPSI, President and Landscape Architect for Abundant Playscapes, Inc., firstname.lastname@example.org
- Danielle Marshall - KaBOOM!, email@example.com
- Tom Norquist - Senior Vice President Product Development/Sales & Marketing - PlayCore/GameTime - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Eric W. O’Brien - Chairman, O’Brien & Sons, Inc. - email@example.com
- Lynn Pinoniemi - Director of Marketing, Landscape Structures, LynnPinoniemi@playlsi.com
- Peggy Riggs, Co-Director at Brio2 Solutions, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dr. Dee Stegelin - Professor, Teacher Education, Eugene T. Moore School of Education, Clemson University - email@example.com
- Dr. Michael Suk - Chairman of Orthopaedic Surgery for the Geisinger Health System - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rita Watts - The Play & Playground Encyclopedia - email@example.com
- Dr. Debora Wisneski - Professor, Early Childhood Education, Teacher Education Department, University of Nebraska Omaha - firstname.lastname@example.org