Communications & Advocacy Committee
The Communications & Advocacy committee will make coalition members and others aware of current and proposed legislation and other actions related to play, and is responsible for building a national campaign targeting professionals, trade associations, and citizens to:
- Raise Awareness regarding the importance of Play and its positive impact on healthy living.
- Galvanize individual and collective action to change perceptions and behaviors regarding the essential value of play. Our ultimate goal is to develop a plan that raises public awareness in regards to the importance of play and its positive impact on healthy living.
- Amplify existing research and seek sustainable solutions regarding play as a value in society.
- Generate the political will necessary to promote play as a means for building healthy productive lives.
- Empower individuals to pursue play as a means to a balanced and healthy life.
The Summit on the Value of Play has raised critical questions about the challenges that lay before us to educate the public about the importance of free play for all.
Our society has, unfortunately, become fearful and timid about the sometimes-necessary consequences that come with the risks, challenges and immense learning that free play offers. Thus, parents often hesitate to allow their children to experience the valuable life lessons their kids can learn through play.
Public officials have in many cases eliminated these opportunities and facilities in fear of the costs associated with liability litigation.
Our committee and the coalition will provide you with information that we hope you will circulate, when appropriate, to your members and colleagues and take appropriate action. It is critical today that we experience play and reap the developmental rewards that it offers.
- Rich Dolesh, NRPA, email@example.com
- Stephen Hamelin, Vortex International, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ken Kutska, International Playground Safety Institute, email@example.com
- Rita Watts, The Play & Playground Encyclopedia, firstname.lastname@example.org